Work in the fashion industry sounds gorgeous and lucrative. Have you ever considered entering the fashion industry, but you think you can’t control it? There are various roles and positions you can play in the fashion world. One does not mean that you are a fashion designer but that you can be very successful in the fashion industry.
Being able to make ends meet is always fun. If you are a fashion fan and you like to see beautiful clothes, accessories or designs around you, you should consider starting a career in the fashion world. Below are some of the key roles in the fashion world where you can participate – from design, production, marketing, and many more.
This is one of the most advanced jobs in the fashion industry. Designers are responsible for thinking about their ideas on trends and seeing them in their final products. Designers can be hired by companies with a team of designers, or work for their product type and production line, or, as a freelancer that offers designs for different companies.
There are several types of designers:
- Costume designers: Obviously these are the designers of clothing, from underwear, sportswear, casual wear to high-end clothing, for men, women and children.
- Shoe designers: They design men’s, women’s and children’s shoes with a stylish look, and with a casual footwear look.
- Designers of accessories: Accessories have a wide range of accessories – from bags, hats, eyeglasses to gloves, scarves and pieces of jewelry.
Production includes the sampling of clothing and accessories until the final pieces are produced which will be delivered to stores and customers. This vast task involves a number of different groups:
- Merchandiser: Retailers play a major role in the production process of a fashion product. They are responsible for purchasing raw materials, choosing fabrics, fabrics and cut-outs. They have to make decisions based on price, quality and the latest trends and inventions.
- Technical Designers: Technical designers are responsible for the integration process throughout the sampling process in the production process. It may not be the designer of the garment but they are experts in providing alternatives to the garment to improve the balance of the garment.
- Pattern Manufacturers: A pattern is the basis of a garment to be sewn. Pattern makers produce and store clothing patterns that designers have designed. Pattern makers are important people in seeing clothing.
- Pattern Designers: The size of the dress starts with the setting of the pattern. Pattern graders specialize in creating details of different sizes. They are the most important people in any fashion product, as the consistent size of all products can maintain customer loyalty and confidence.
- Appropriate models: Finally the clothes and shoes are designed to put comfort and style together. Measurement is an important part of the fashion industry and the most direct measurement is to use the model as a measurement body.
Many companies have their own dedicated model for measuring their line, which has the exact product rating required. Sometimes you see ads looking for sample models, from children, men, women to plus size models.
- Quality Management Specialists: Quality control is very important to any type of product, and there is no difference in the fashion industry. Quality control experts consider the quality of materials used, such as peeling, shrinkage and color dyeing of the fabric and the overall quality of the fashion item, for example, the overall combination of the access material.
- Designers: Fashion designers consult extensively with fashion designers, retailers and consumers to determine the production plan for the future. They look at both the production and marketing aspects while paying close attention to the latest fashion trends.
Marketing is as important as making a complete piece of fashion. Whether it is advertising in a wholesale or retail store, people in the fashion industry have a responsibility to promote the fashion industry in this rapidly changing world.
- Fashion Buyers / Retailers: Retailers are the ones who buy ready-made products for sale in the store as supermarkets. These traders conduct research and analyze market trends, which the customer wants in relation to stocks. They have a great deal of responsibility when it comes to making a profit, since having the eye to buy the right product for sale can make a difference in revenue.
- Exhibition Room Experts: Some brands have their own showrooms, showcasing their collection of fashion buyers (retailers) to make their orders. Compared to retail sales, exhibition sales professionals should be better acquainted with their customers who return at certain times of the year and be able to provide detailed information about the categories being sold.
- Store Manager / Store Managers: Store manager, retailers and store owners are the first employees responsible for retail customers like you and me.
Other Fashion Related Activities
Apart from the field of designing, producing or marketing a fashion item, one can also be attracted to other positions such as fashion magazine writer, online blogs and fashion event management etc. :
- Fashion Writers: Writers or freelance writers can write for magazines, online blogs or sites for reviews, styles and recommendations. Fashion writers can grow into editors of fashion magazines.
- Personal Styles: Some department stores offer personal services while another independent customer will hire a personal style and give them personal style recommendations.
- Fashion Events Management / Community Liaison: There are nameless fashion events that require public relations and event management expertise to take care of them. When i